Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cordially Declined


“YOU SHALL NOT PASS”: the poignant words uttered by Gandalf as he faced the dreaded fire demon. As the hobbits screamed back with tear streaked faces, Gandalf battled his ominous foe. Even though he was drawing a line to alter the fire demon’s path, Gandalf’s own path was decidedly altered: behind him savage spider-like Goblins, farther back still, a dim-witted (but upset) water monster, and hundreds of miles up a mountain pass not fit for kings (or holiday ski resorts). Even for a wizard this was a serious plight. With a well-aimed wicked lash of the whip, the demon pulled Gandalf down with him into what was practically a bottomless abyss.
I guess all of this to say that Gandalf’s choice A was blocked, so he had to go with what was choice B or C (or maybe even Z).
As some of you know, I was declined entrance into KU’s School of Law. I would not say this was the school I had placed my highest hopes and expectations upon, but still, the way is blocked, and I acknowledge that this is not a good sign. Going to law school has been a large part of my focus for the last nine months, and I suppose the most upsetting aspect of this news is that I don’t have a plan B. I don’t know why, or for who, I need a plan B- is it for myself; my family; for God? I’m not sure; it just seems important right now.

… Hopefully, my fall back plan won’t involve sky diving with fire demons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...You took the fall and thought of me, above all" are words that the hobbits could have sung then.
We would prefer the details of the HOW, but all His promises to us are specific to His Plan A-ie,Ps 32:8, James 1:5 and Ps 25:12-13. Keep pressing on, Sweetheart; you are successful in His book.