Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Passover with Strangers


This year I celebrated Passover with Chabad, KU’s Jewish Life Center. I’ve been to Seder dinners before, but this year I wanted to experience something a little more authentic and… well, more Jewish. I have also been on this kick since I have been back from China to try to get out of my comfort zone, and this fit the bill. I was nervous the entire drive to Lawrence- that’s how I know it met the requirements for Comfort Zone Abandonment.

It took me a while to find the house that the dinner was held at, but when I actually spotted the place I was like “How could I have missed this?” It had a large Menorah situated on the front lawn.

I felt that it wasn’t really the kind of place that insisted you knock on the front door before entering, so I just walked in, which took some chutzpah. Inside, there were long tables arranged in a giant “E” shape and I sat down in one of the empty plastic chairs. It took some coaxing to break the ice with the strangers around me, but eventually I was able to draw them out by pelting them with questions.

The Seder took about 3 ½ hours. It was overseen by a joke-loving Rabbi, and we didn’t eat until the tail end of the event. I was sent an e-mail before I came that encouraged me to grab a bite ahead of time, and afterwards I was glad that I followed the advice. At the beginning of the evening I tried to mumble Hebrew along with the rest of the group, but I gave up on this endeavor after the first two minutes- realizing that I had been “reading” the script backwards. Throughout the meal I washed my hands twice, both times in special ways. I’m not sure why, and the girl next to me didn’t know why either. In addition to this, I clapped my hands during the songs, ate beef brisket, swayed in a circle, was blessed by the Rabbi, and danced to Jewish songs with a group of women.

I don’t know if I’ll run into these people again; KU’s campus is fairly large, but I’m grateful that they let me catch a glimpse of how they celebrate the holiday of Passover. And even though we were strangers, we did have a common bond. We both wanted to remember that God saved His people Israel from the hand of Pharaoh in Egypt, and performed miraculous wonders in the process, including providing a covering from the death angel through the blood of an innocent lamb. Even though that common bond doesn’t entirely unite us, it makes a solid start. And overall, I view it as having been a successful evening.

4 comments:

Gracie said...

What a good experience! Thank you for sharing, Heather! May the Lord Jesus use it in your life... perhaps to open up some doors in the future with some of these people!

Anonymous said...

A great deal more successful than our Indian feast.
Mazel tof!

Unknown said...

You are one cool woman.

tsbjf said...

I second Eden's comment.