Monday, October 18, 2010

Hmmm... interesting

I am in the throws of looking for a job again- just something part time. I was looking through the classified section of the newspaper when I came across an ad for a secretarial position for a church with ideal hours and pay. I've been skimming their website to see what kind of a place it is, and I thought I'd share a few highlights.

They don't have a purpose statement, but they do have 7 principles they live by:

-The inherent worth and dignity of every person
-Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
-Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
-A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
-The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
-The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
-Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part

There was a A and Q section for the website, and this one caught my notice:

Q: Is this some kind of cult?

A: No! If anything, it is the opposite of the mind control that characterizes cults.

Does that set your mind at ease? Here's another question. This one is in answer to how I could become a member:

There are two requirements for membership: 1) Sign the membership book, and 2) make a donation with your name attached to it (the amount is up to you). Joining any religious organization is a big decision, so we have literature on the subject, introductory classes, and lots of people who would be delighted to respond to your questions.

So, what do you think? Should I apply? ...and yes, if you guessed it was a universalist church you get the prize for the day.