Friday, October 15, 2010

Pursuant



There is a couple in one of my immediate circles who were just recently engaged. It was a bit of a surprise (to everyone actually, including some of their closest friends) because the couple never dated. Even up to the point where the man popped the question with the ring in hand they were “just friends”. The situation fits them. I am happy for them, and do not want to squelch their unique story, but it definitely reads differently than most romances I have witnessed.

There is something kind of fun about watching a man trying to win a girl’s heart. Some, it seems, use their wits and creativity. Other guys act cocky, or maybe they are just plain persistent, not accepting the word “no” to mean no. For the record, I am not being pursued. I have my theories as to why, of course: too intimidating, not intimidating enough, too tall, too short, I have yellow teeth (I drink a lot of tea *sheepish grin*), too shy, too confident… the list goes on. You may have some of your own theories (family members do not need to comment on this one :p)

However, I think The Art of Pursuing goes up a level in my mind, when the target of the one pursuing isn’t really all that lovely. Or maybe they are lovely, in their own way, but it is not very obvious to anybody else. The pursuit takes place because of some secret phenomenal reason only the pursuer knows. Maybe some witnesses know too, but the reasons behind the pursuit are rooted deeper than surface level.

You are probably familiar with the poem entitled the Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson. Recently I have been reading a book called Why I Am a Christian, by John Stott, and in his first chapter he talks about how God has been the Hound of Heaven in different individual’s lives. An excerpt from some of C.S. Lewis’ writings stood out to me:

“The prodigal Son at least walked home on his own feet. But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape?... The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.”

Stott also uses some of Augustine of Hippo’s writings before and after Augustine came to Christ. Here is a clip from that:

“Augustine attributed his experience to the sheer grace that is the free and unmerited favor of God. He claimed that God had quickened all five of his spiritual senses- hearing, sight, smell, taste and touch.

‘You called and cried out loud and shattered my deafness. You were radiant and resplendent, you put to flight my blindness. You were fragrant, and I drew in my breath and now pant after you. I tasted you, and I feel but hunger and thirst for you. You touched me, and I am set on fire to attain the peace which is yours.’”

C.S. Lewis, Augustine and John Stott all had deep experiences because of the pursuit of the Hound of Heaven. Reading through different accounts of this happening reminded me that God pursues the unlovely, the prodigals and those who are kicking and screaming. Earlier in this post I said I wasn’t being pursued, but in actuality, I guess I am. I am, and so are you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of kicking and screaming prodigals, I was just listening to an interview while cleaning my house, and I thought you might be interested in it... but you'll have to listen to find out why!